HLTAID013 – Provide First Aid in remote or isolated site
In the HLTAID013 – Provide First Aid in remote or isolated site course, you will gain the skills and knowledge required to provide first aid response and emergency life support to a casualty in a remote or isolated situation over an extended period of time. The course applies to workers who may be required to prepare for and provide a first aid response in locations beyond the reach of timely medical assistance.
- Participants who are deemed competent upon completing all the course requirements (theory and practical assessments) will receive a Statement of Attainment in:
- There are no pre-requisites for this first aid course.
- The Australian Resuscitation Council recommends HLTAID009 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation be renewed every 12 months. It is important to note that some positions, employers and industry associations require that you renew your HLTAID009 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation every 12 months.
- HLTAID013 – Provide First Aid in remote or isolated site should be renewed every three (3) years.
- All participants must be able to kneel on the floor while performing uninterrupted CPR for a minimum of 2 minutes per round as per the assessment requirements set in the Unit of Competency (HLTAID013) and must be able to demonstrate safe manual handling (bending the knees while lifting an object).
- All participants must have a moderate level of English to be able to complete the course.
- 24 hours face-to-face
- 16 hours face-to-face and eLearning
Participants will be provided with an assessment workbook containing the theory assessments (unless completing this theory component online) and details of the practical assessments.
- The theory assessments consist of multiple-choice quizzes.
- The practical assessments consist of practical exercises and workplace-based scenarios which need to be completed in groups or pairs. They will involve demonstrating your skills in placing a casualty in the recovery position, performing CPR on adult and infant manikins on the floor, and applying principles and procedures for first aid management.
- Topics included in the assessments:
- Guidelines and procedures
- Legal, workplace and community considerations
- The administration of medication
- Considerations when providing CPR
- Techniques for providing CPR to adults, children and infants
- Allergic reaction and anaphylaxis
- Non-life-threatening and life-threatening bleeding
- Cardiac conditions, including chest pain
- Envenomation – all current treatments
- Eye injuries and nose-bleed
- Fractures, dislocations, strains and sprains
- Head, neck and spinal injuries
- Hypothermia and hyperthermia
- Minor wounds
- Sharps injuries
- Life-threatening bleeding, including use of tourniquets and haemostatic dressings
- Prepare equipment for first aid response in a remote or isolated site
- Assess the situation
- Apply appropriate first aid procedures
- Communicate details of the incident
- Coordinate evacuation and first aid activities until assistance arrives
- Review the incident
The HLTAID013 – Provide First Aid in remote or isolated site course is available in various locations around Australia.
Cost: From $350 per participant when conducted at suitable locations as determined by Aspen Medical Training Academy. For quoting at your desired location, send us an enquiry via the ‘Enquire now’ link below.
Contact the Aspen Medical Training Academy to discuss your training needs.