HLTAID014 – Provide Advanced First Aid
In the HLTAID014 – Provide Advanced First Aid course, you will gain the skills and knowledge required to provide an advanced first aid response, including management of the incident and other first aiders, until the arrival of medical or further assistance.
The course applies to workers who may be required to provide, coordinate and manage a first aid response across a range of complex situations, including community and workplace settings.
- Participants who are deemed competent upon completing all the course requirements (theory and practical assessments) will receive a Statement of Attainment in:
- There are no pre-requisites for this first aid course.
- The Australian Resuscitation Council recommends HLTAID009 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation be renewed every 12 months. It is important to note that some positions, employers and industry associations require that you renew your HLTAID009 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation every 12 months.
- HLTAID014 – Provide Advanced First Aid should be renewed every three (3) years.
- All participants must be able to kneel on the floor while performing uninterrupted CPR for a minimum of 2 minutes per round as per the assessment requirements set in the Unit of Competency (HLTAID014) and must be able to demonstrate safe manual handling (bending the knees while lifting an object).
- All participants must have a moderate level of English to be able to complete the course.
- 24 hours face-to-face
- 16 hours face-to-face and eLearning.
Participants are provided with an assessment workbook containing the theory assessments (unless completing this theory component online) and details of the practical assessments.
- The theory assessments consist of multiple-choice quizzes.
- The practical assessments consist of practical exercises and workplace-based scenarios which need to be completed in groups or pairs. They will involve demonstrating your skills in placing a casualty in the recovery position, performing CPR on adult and infant manikins on the floor, and applying principles and procedures for first aid management.
- Topics included in the assessments:
- Guidelines and procedures
- Legal, workplace and community considerations
- Administration of medication
- Considerations when providing CPR
- Techniques for providing CPR to adults, children and infants
- Considerations when providing first aid
- Abdominal injuries
- Allergic reaction, anaphylaxis and asthma
- Non-life-threatening bleeding
- Life-threatening bleeding, including use of tourniquets and haemostatic dressings
- Cardiac conditions, including chest pain
- Crush injuries
- Ear and eye injuries, including bleeding from the ear
- Envenomation – all current treatments
- Fractures, dislocations, strains and sprains
- Head, neck and spinal injuries
- Hypothermia and hyperthermia
- Minor wounds
- Sharps injuries
- Respond to an emergency situation
- Apply appropriate first aid procedures
- Coordinate first aid activities until the arrival of medical assistance
- Communicate details of the incident
- Review the incident.
This HLTAID014 – Provide Advanced First Aid course is available in various locations around Australia.
Cost: From $305 per participant when conducted at suitable locations as determined by Aspen Medical Training Academy. For quoting at your desired location, send us an enquiry via the ‘Enquire now’ link below.
Contact the Aspen Medical Training Academy to discuss your training needs.