PUAEME005 Provide pain management
This course provides the skills and knowledge required to administer restricted analgesics to provide pain management as part of a medically supervised first responder organisation. It includes identifying the need for analgesia; accessing, preparing and administering restricted pain relief and aspiring according to medically endorsed protocols; performing casualty handovers and completing analgesic use requirements.
The course is suitable for personnel from or participants wishing to be employed in emergency services, volunteer organisations or organisation that provide a medically supervised first aid service.
Licensing requirements for the storage and administration of drugs may apply.
- Must hold HLTAID011 Provide first aid
- participants who are deemed competent upon completing all the course requirements (theory and practical assessments) will receive a Statement of Attainment in:
- PUAEME005 Provide pain management
- all participants must have a moderate level of English to be able to complete the course
- all participants must hold HLTAID011 Provide First Aid
Participants will be provided with an assessment workbook which contains the theory assessments and details of the practical assessments.
- the theory assessment consists of multiple-choice quizzes
- the practical assessment consists of practical exercises, workplace-based scenarios
- Topics included in the assessments:
- Preparing appropriate dosage of analgesic (include checking contraindications and precautions)
- Apply WHS requirements
- Display good communication skills
- Follow medically endorsed protocols, and comply with legislation
- Monitor casualty
- Demonstrate effective handover
- Secure analgesic drugs in storage facility
- Organisational documentation, policies and procedures
- Manufacturers’ guidelines
- Principles of casualty pain assessment and management
- Identify need for analgesia
- Assess and prepare analgesic
- Administer analgesic
- Perform casualty handover
- Complete analgesic use requirements