HLTPAT005 – Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing
This course provides the skills and knowledge required to confirm collection requirements, prepare client and equipment and collect specimens via urine and/or oral and breath testing following the special procedures that apply for drugs of abuse testing.
This course applies to individuals working or wanting to work in collection centres, in hospitals, in other health care environments and workplaces where drugs of abuse testing takes place.
- there are no pre-requisites for this course
- participants who are deemed competent upon completing all the course requirements (theory and practical assessments, and supervised practice) will receive a Statement of Attainment in:
- HLTPAT005 – Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing
- all participants must be able complete a 18hrs supervised practice within a fortnight time period as per the assessment conditions of the Unit of Competency (HLTPAT005)
- all participants must have a moderate level of English to be able to complete the course
Participants will be provided with an assessment workbook which contains the theory assessments and details of the practical assessments.
- the theory assessments consist of multiple-choice quizzes
- the practical assessments consist of practical exercises, workplace-based scenarios and a supervised practice of 18 hours (to be completed within 14 days of the face-to-face training)
- Topics included in the assessments:
- Urine drug testing
- Oral drug testing
- Breath analysis
- Integrity of samples
- Documentation requirements
- Duty of care, informed consent, privacy & confidentiality, disclosure
- Record management
- Chain of custody process
- Storage and courier requirements
- Interaction with non-compliant clients and problem-solving skills
- Confirm collection requirements
- Prepare for collection procedure
- Collect specimen
- Follow post collection procedures
Cost: From $585 per participant when conducted at suitable locations as determined by Aspen Medical Training Academy. For quoting at your desired location, send us an enquiry via the ‘Enquire now’ link below.
Contact the Aspen Medical Training Academy to discuss your training needs.