HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy
The HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy course provides the skills and knowledge required to use specialised equipment to provide resuscitation in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines.
The course applies to workers who may be required to use specialised equipment to provide resuscitation in a range of complex situations, including community and workplace settings.
- Participants who are deemed competent upon completing all the course requirements (theory and practical assessments) will receive a Statement of Attainment in:
- HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation
- There are no pre-requisites for this first aid course.
- The Australian Resuscitation Council recommends HLTAID009 Provide CPR be renewed every 12 months. It is important to note that some positions, employers and industry associations require that you renew your HLTAID009 Provide CPR every 12 months.
- HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy should be renewed every 12 months.
- All participants must be able to kneel on the floor while performing uninterrupted CPR for a minimum of 2 minutes per round as per the assessment requirements set in the Unit of Competency (HLTAID015) and must be able to demonstrate safe manual handling (bending the knees while lifting an object).
- All participants must have a moderate level of English to be able to complete the course.
- Eight (8) hours of face-to-face
- Four (4)hours face-to-face and eLearning.
Participants are provided with an assessment workbook containing the theory assessments and details of the practical assessments.
- The theory assessments consist of multiple-choice quizzes.
- The practical assessments consist of practical exercises and workplace-based scenarios which need to be completed in groups or pairs. They will involve demonstrating your skills in placing a casualty in the recovery position, performing CPR on adult and infant manikins on the floor, and applying principles and procedures for first aid management.
- Topics included in the assessments:
- Guidelines and procedures
- Legal, workplace and community considerations
- Administration of oxygen
- Considerations when providing resuscitation
- Techniques for providing CPR to adults, children and infants
- Assessment and interpretation of vital signs, including normal clinical values for respiration, pulse, oxygen saturation
- Level of consciousness
- How to use a suction device
- Signs, symptoms and management of life-threatening bleeding, including use of tourniquets and haemostatic dressings
- Considerations when providing oxygen
- Methods for cleaning, replenishing, recharging and maintaining resuscitation and oxygen equipment
- Psychological impacts of first aid incidents on rescuers and how to seek help
- Respond to a remote emergency
- Perform resuscitation procedures
- Deliver oxygen therapy
- Communicate details of the incident
- Review the incident
The HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy course is available in various locations around Australia.
Contact the Aspen Medical Training Academy to discuss your training needs.